Rent Relief Program
Rent Relief Program
- Free financial assistance is available to landlords and renters who need help with unpaid or future rent or utilities.
- Landlords and renters are both encouraged to apply.
- Income-eligible applicants may qualify regardless of immigration status and will not be required to show proof of citizenship.
- Assistance from the CA COVID-19 Rent Relief program does NOT count as earned income (for renters) and will NOT affect eligibility for any other state benefit assistance programs, such as CalFresh or CalWORKS.
- All applicant information is kept private and will not be shared.
- Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis. Priority assistance will be given to income eligible households most at-risk of eviction.
- Once an application has been successfully processed, both the landlord and renter will be notified of next steps.
Who can apply?
Landlords who participate in the CA COVID-19 Rent Relief program can get reimbursed for an eligible renter’s unpaid rent dating back to April 1, 2020. Eligible renters whose landlords choose not to participate in the program may apply on their own and receive assistance for unpaid rent dating back to April 1, 2020.
Eligible renters can receive financial assistance for their upcoming monthly rent, too.
UTILITY ASSISTANCE: UNPAID OR UPCOMING
Eligible renters may also receive assistance for unpaid utility payments dating back to April 1, 2020, or for future utility payments, which will both be compensated at 100% of cost, limited to a total of 12 months, and paid directly to the utility provider.
What are the requirements?
RENTERS: If you have been impacted by COVID-19, are income eligible (the state will calculate this when you apply) and have unpaid rent or utilities, or need help with future rent or utilities, you may apply for the CA COVID-19 Rent Relief program.
LANDLORDS: If you have renters who are behind on their rent and need financial assistance to support this income loss, you may apply for the CA COVID-19 Rent Relief program, so long as:
- Your renter’s household is income eligible (the state will calculate this when they apply).
- All payments you receive must be used to satisfy the renter’s unpaid rent. Eligible timeframe for financial assistance dates back to April 1, 2020.
- Your renter/s must take steps to verify that they meet eligibility requirements and sign the application. They will be notified once your application submitted and asked to submit their required information.
Income-eligible applicants may qualify regardless of immigration status and will not be required to show proof of citizenship.