If you are a college student or recent high school graduate, then insurance may not be at the top of your priority list right now, but soon it will be. If you have been lucky enough to be on your parent's auto policy, you may never have even considered auto insurance. In the near future it is going to be up to you to get auto insurance because you can't stay on your parents' policy forever.
So, why do you need auto insurance anyway? Well, the first answer is simple: it's the law. The DMV requires that you take financial responsibility for owning and operating an auto in California. The easiest way of satisfying your financial responsibility is by buying liability insurance. Bodily injury liability limits must meet the minimum of $15,000 per person and $30,000 total for all persons per accident. Property damage liability limits must meet the minimum of $5,000 per accident. Liability insurance protects you when you cause property damage or bodily injury to someone else when driving your car. If you are caught driving without liability insurance in California you will be charged hefty penalties. Violators can face up to hundreds of dollars in fines for a first time offense. Also, if you are involved in an accident and do not have liability insurance, your license may be suspended whether you are at fault or not.
Legal issues aside, insurance is a way to protect yourself in the case of an accident. Your coverage can't stop an accident from happening, but it can help to put you back in the place you were before an accident occurred. It can also protect you from financial hardship if you are at fault and hurt someone else or their property in an accident. There is no doubt that you need auto insurance. If you're not convinced yet, then read the following reasons to get insurance now, before it's too late:
- Do you have the money to pay for repairs if your car is damaged or vandalized? Physical damage coverage (comprehensive and collision) will pay for these types of repairs.
- Do you have the money to cover towing and car rental if you total your car? You can choose an auto policy with special coverage options such as towing and rental car coverage. It's not too cool when you're forced to take the bus to the prom!
- What would you do if your car was stolen? Would you be able to buy another car if the police didn't recover your car? Would you be able to pay off your car loan? Comprehensive coverage will put you back in the driver's seat with a total loss settlement if you car is stolen.
- Do you have the financial certainty that you can pay for any accident that was your fault? When you have liability insurance, your insurance company takes care of it.
- Would you rather pay a small deductible or the entire amount of damage to your car? That's a no-brainer!
- How would you feel if your friends were injured in your car and could not afford medical treatment? Medical payments can provide an amount of coverage for initial medical treatment.
- Are you the type of person who complains about how others are so irresponsible? Take the real responsibility of driving and owning a car seriously and purchase auto insurance.
Provident Plus Insurance Agency, which is owned entirely by Provident Credit Union, can provide you with an insurance quote for your car. We do the shopping for you from many highly rated major rated insurance companies, to find the best rate for your situation. Request your quote today!