Buying a home doesn't have to be stressful. The links on this page are a way to provide Provident Credit Union members with educational information and tools to assist in the process of shopping for and buying a home, and understanding the sometimes confusing application and closing process. We hope you find value with these handy resources.
- Calculator: How Much Can I Borrow Calculate the amount you can borrow, based upon various down payments and income.
- Calculator: What Home Can I Afford? This tool calculates the maximum home price and mortgage loan that you may be able to afford for a given down payment, loan-to-value ratio, and total monthly loan payment.
- Calculator: How Much Should I Put Down? This tool helps you determine whether it is better to put a smaller or larger down payment on a home given other loan terms.
- Calculator: How Much Will My Mortgage Payments Be? This tool calculates your monthly mortgage payment for a given purchase price, down payment, interest rate, and loan term.
- Calculator: How Much Will My ARM Payment Be? This tool calculates your monthly payment for an adjustable-rate mortgage (ARM) loan, given a loan amount and loan terms.
- Calculator: What Will My Refinance Costs Be? This tool calculates your mortgage settlement charges (or closing costs) for a given set of loan terms.
- Calculator: Am I Better Off Refinancing? This tool calculates whether the decision to refinance your mortgage loan is a good one based on the terms you enter for your current loan and for the refinance loan that you are considering.
- Calculator: What Will My Closing Costs Be? This tool calculates your mortgage settlement charges (or closing costs) for a given set of loan terms.
- Calculator: Should I Pay Points to Lower the Rate? This tool helps you determine whether paying additional charges for a specific interest rate (or discount points) in exchange for a lower interest rate is a good deal.
- Calculator: How Much Can I Save in Taxes? This tool estimates your average yearly tax savings on a mortgage loan and calculates your after-tax interest rate on the loan.
- Calculator: Am I Better Off Renting? This tool helps you determine whether buying a home is a better deal than renting.
- Calculator: How Can I Reduce My Mortgage Insurance? This tool estimates your monthly payment for private mortgage insurance (PMI) over a range of down payments.
- Calculator: Which Loan is Better? This tool helps you determine which of two mortgage loans is the better deal. The loans may both be fixed- or adjustable-rate (ARMs) loans.
- Calculator: How Advantageous are Extra Payments? This tool calculates the total mortgage interest paid with and without making prepayments for a given set of loan terms.
- FAQs: Loan Programs, Rates & Fees When it comes to home financing, there are many different options to choose from. How do you find the loan that's best for you? Here is some information to help you.
- FAQs: Your Application Applying for a mortgage can be very intimidating. You're asked specific details about your income, assets, and debts. Here we will give you information that will let you know how that information is used when applying for a mortgage.
- FAQs: Your Property When you buy or refinance a home, the property is used as collateral for the loan. Here's what the lender is looking for and why.
- FAQs: Closing & Beyond Hurray! Your loan has been approved and your loan closing date has been set! This section will give you some idea of what to expect at closing and what happens after closing.
- Glossary of Mortgage Terms There are a lot of unfamiliar terms that get tossed around during the mortgage process. But don't worry, we've put together this glossary to help you get a better grasp of any terms that may be less than clear.
- Real Estate Handbook for Provident Members With this PDF, we'll walk you through all the most important things you need to know about buying a home and financing it with Provident Credit Union
- Realtor Team Names A result of work from both the California Association of Realtors and the California Bureau of Real Estate, Assembly Bill 2018 addresses the confusion of "team names."
- A Variety of Financing Options The home-buying process can be made more complex with new vocabulary and all those finance options. What to choose?
- Millennials Starting to Buy Homeownership is on the rise and expected to reach previous normal levels again soon as several studies have recently shown. In fact, Millennials are more optimistic than other adults about America's future.
- It's a Team Effort Helping a buyer get into a new home is a team effort. When all the different parties involved in the process communicate, coordinate and pull together, it's a blissfully smooth operation.
- Remote Control According to the California Association of Realtors, 91% of buyers stated that they used a mobile device to access the Internet during their home search.