Automobile Service Contracts, part 3


Reminders & Who to Contact:

  • Obtain a sample of the contract and read it carefully before you decide whether or not to buy.
  • Understand what is covered and what is not covered.
  • Compare service contracts with MBI policies.
  • If you buy a service contract, perform routine maintenance, keep a maintenance log, and save receipts.
  • If your claim is unjustly denied, or a claim or a cancellation refund is not paid within 60 days, complain to the insurance company named on the service contract.
  • If the insurance company does not resolve your complaint write to:
    Department of Insurance
    Claims Services Bureau
    300 South Spring Street
    Los Angeles, CA 90013
  • If your service contract was purchased after January 1, 1984 and does not have the name of an insurance company, write to:
    Department of Insurance
    Consumer Services Division
    300 South Spring Street
    Los Angeles, CA 90013
  • If you have a complaint about the poor quality of repair work, contact:
    Department of Consumer Affairs
    Bureau of Automotive Repair
    Check you telephone directory under the state government listings for nearest office or call toll free: (800) 952-5210
  • For the status of agent or broker licenses, contact:
    Department of Insurance
    License Bureau
    320 Capitol Mall
    Sacramento, CA 95814
    (916) 322-355