Homeowners Insurance Tips
- Take the time to shop around for homeowners insurance. Provident Plus makes this part easy by shopping several different insurance companies and providing you with the results. Compare prices, service, and coverage.
- Provide the most complete and accurate information to your agent or broker when requesting a premium quote or completing an insurance application.
- Read all applications or finance agreements before signing. Read them again after you have filled them out completely (and before you sign) in order to check and see if everything is correct. Never sign a blank form or something that you do not understand. Keep a copy of all signed documents in a safe place for your records.
- Review and read your policy when you receive it. Don't file it without checking to see that the coverage, limits, premium, and other information are correct. Also, read through the policy carefully to identify your rights and obligations and the company's rights and obligations under the terms of the policy.
- Keep an inventory of personal property, listing all of the items you own, the dates purchased, and the price. If possible, take pictures of important and valuable items. You may want to videotape your home and possessions as well. Keep these records in a safe place away from home, preferably in a safe-deposit box. Also, periodically update your inventory, appraisals, photos, and videotape. This will help you to file and settle a claim quickly and efficiently